Please accept our sincere condolences during this difficult time. We’re here to help you make this process as easy as possible.
- Beneficiaries of a life insurance policy can visit metlife.com/lifeinsuranceclaims to:
- Learn about the claims process and what you’ll need to submit your claim
- Get answers to frequently asked questions
- Search for a life insurance policy
- Start a claim
- Ready to file a life insurance claim?
For each beneficiary, please complete and return one of the forms below.
- If you’re an individual beneficiary: Download Form or Complete Online
- If you’re a trust or entity: Download Form or Complete Online
- Current life insurance policyholders can visit metlife.com/lifeinsurance to:
- Access forms
- Manage your life insurance policy
- Get answers to frequently asked questions
Please accept our sincere condolences during this difficult time. We’re here to support you throughout the process.
- What should I do if I need to file a life insurance claim?
- Please contact the employer of the insured for next steps.
- I am the beneficiary; how do I file a life insurance claim?
- You can complete the claim form you received in your claim kit and send to MetLife via mail, fax, email or complete the claim form online. Please see Frequently Asked Questions below for more details.
- Please see below for additional questions about the life claim process:
Additional Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where do I submit my life claimant statement to?
MetLife Group Life Claims
P.O. Box 6100
Scranton, PA 18505-6100
2. How can I receive updates on the status of my claim?
You have the option on your claim form to elect electronic status via text or email. You may also call us at 1-800-638-6420, Prompt 2 to check on the status.
3. Do I need to obtain an original death certificate?
No. You can send in a copy of a death certificate, which can be obtained from the funeral home, in most cases. If the death occurs outside of the United States, then the original death certificate is required.
4. What other documents will I be required to submit to MetLife?
In general, we require a copy of a death certificate and complete claim form. Your claim package will outline the required documents. If we need additional information, we will reach out to you.
5. Can MetLife pay the funeral home directly?
If you are the named beneficiary, the funeral home can provide you with an assignment form which will allow MetLife to pay them directly. The assignment form should be submitted with the life claimant statement.
6. What if my claim is for someone who has passed away outside of the United States?
Because the death occurred outside of the United States, you’ll have to mail the original death certificate and documents that include the cause and manner of death to the address on your claim form.
7. What if I am representing a beneficiary who is a minor?
If you are representing a minor, you’ll need a court certificate that specifies who was appointed as guardian of the minor’s property or estate. If unavailable, the funds can be held at MetLife in a minor on deposit interest-bearing account, until the minor reaches the age of majority in your state, or until you can provide that court certificate.
8. What if I am representing an estate?
If you are representing an estate, you’ll need some additional documentation that can be obtained from probate court. This may include court certificate papers that list the appointed administrator or executor of the estate, and a tax identification number. For smaller estates, all that’s needed is a small estate affidavit or a summary of the administration.
9. What if I am representing a trust?
If you are representing a trust, you’ll need to complete the certification of trust form that you will receive in the life claim packet.
10. Once I have submitted my group life claim, how can I contact MetLife if I have questions?
You can contact us at 1-800-638-6420, Prompt 2.
11. What are the available hours at MetLife to contact Group Life Claims?
Our Customer Service Center is open Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET, and Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET.
12: Are there additional resources available to me as a beneficiary?
MetLife provides a beneficiary website with additional information you may want to consider as a beneficiary. Click here to be redirected.
- Sign in to MyBenefits now
- Need access to all of your claim and benefit information? Check out our new Claim Center in this short video.
- How to submit a claim:
- Sign in to MyBenefits now.
- Make sure to have the following information available:
- Your contact information
- Disability details
- Physician contact information
- A MetLife Claims specialist will be in touch within 1-2 business days to confirm next steps
*Online claim submissions are not available to all groups. Please call 888-608-6665 if you are not eligible to file online.
- Benefits of Registering online include:
- Submit a claim or absence (if eligible)
- See claim status, history, payments, and appeals
- Set up direct deposit of benefits
- Download disability forms
- Call our 24/7/365 claims service at 1-800-854-6011
- Visit www.metlife.com/ltc to find forms and answers to commonly asked questions.
Learn about our new Claims Center. Access all benefit and claims information now.